Monday, January 13, 2014

Jan 12, 2014

It's actually warmed up a bit up here in P.A. and it actually felt a little bit like a Utah winter up here for the last couple of days. This last week was a really good one! I loved it, and we get our transfer calls this Friday, and if the APs tell me I'm getting transferred they're going to have to drag me out of here tooth and nail because I'm not leaving. I've got some stories to tell so let's get started:

Monday didn't have anything special, but we deep cleaned our apartment because all the elders before us did not do it. But on Tuesday I woke up sick. I was pretty much out of commision all day, and you really can't do missionary work when you're hunched over a toilet all day if you know what I mean, so I pretty much got to sleep in which was nice, but it was terrible because I felt like I was going to die. Luckily it was just a 24 flu, and I got back to work on Wednesday, but I was still recovering all week long. On Wednesday we had Zone Training Meeting and we were supposed to travel down to Saskatoon for it which is two hours away, and we were going to pack our whole district in our truck for it, so we were pretty excited, but because of the weather/ road conditions, and Saskatoon is 2 hours away, our mission president told us we couldn't drive down. Our assistants couldn't even come out from Winnipeg, which means that I'm not seeing my mail for another 3 weeks! yay! Basically after that we stopped by a lot of people, and had a lesson with a less-active member that we talked all about the outer reaches of Saskatchewan with. 

Thursday was a really good day. The Zone leaders came up from Saskatoon and had an exchange with us. We did a tri-pan for the day, and went and did some work/ had some fun. We started off by going to do some service at this place we found called "good as new" it's a place where you can help out some of the mentally handicapped, so we went there for a bit and they fed us lunch. After that we had a lesson with our investigator Loyd, he's an older guy, he is really open to the gospel, and to the Book of Mormon. Elder Hindes has taught has taught him before and left him with the BOM and to read a little bit, and he actually did, so that's what we talked about. After him, we taught a less-active member that I love to death and he's hilarious, so we taught him about the atonement using an object lesson I love that involves fire and science. It's the best. and no, it's not a tea bag. haha. After that we stopped by a few people and headed out to our new found native's reserve, Wahpeton. We taught our less-active out there. Her name's Karen Parenteau. She's great! she made us this fried bread called banick. It was really good. She hasn't been to church in about 20 years, so we dug to her concerns and really taught to her needs, and then invited her to church, and called a member she used to know, and had her invite her to church also. It is hard for her when she lives 20 minutes out.

Nothing Special on Friday sadly, but on saturday we did some service at habitat for humanity, and then walked to the other end of the town, because we're trying to conserve on "k's" or how much distance we have on our truck. We have next to none that we can use this month, and we've already used a lot. But after that we had a baptismal interview with the other elder's baptismal date, and she's solid! She's being baptised this Saturday and I'm excited. After that we had a meeting, and taught the Bird Family who's a native family full of girls. I love them to death, and their Dad really likes the missionaries. It's a miracle how we found them and a crazy story too. But i'm excited to teach them further.

Sunday was a great day. We had church for once, because it was actually warm enough, because it was snowing. I've never been to a place where it has to warm up to snow! Funny how I say warm, but it's still -20*c outside, which is about -5*f. crazy. Sadly no one we invited showed up to church, but after church we went half an hour out of town to a member's house for dinner which was fun, but then we taught Eric. I told you guys a little about him last week, but he's the miracle of the week. It was amazing how we found him, and he is prepared by the Lord. We sat down and taught him a little about the restoration, but he's met with missionaries before so we focused on that a little bit, and talked about baptism, and then invited him to be baptised, and he accepted a date of Feb 15. It was amazing! the spirit while we were teaching him was amazing, and I'm excited for him.

I don't want to leave P.A. and I want to see Eric be baptised, and the work up here is just exploding. With Eric we were taught that as we are diligent, and put forth the work, and the effort, as well as pray and ask for the blessings, because we were fasting when we found him, the Lord will (for lack of better terms) throw us a few free-bees every now and again. I love this work, and the Gospel. I never want to stop being in this spirit, and I'm so lucky to spend the next 20 months out here in the CWM. 

Love you guys, and thank you for your prayers and support.
Elder Jake Sorenson 

No comments:

Post a Comment