Monday, October 14, 2013

Week of Oct 7, 2013

Hey Guys! This week has been simply amazing. And I'll share a couple of reasons why.
 
So the 3 months before I left on my mission were probably some of the best months of my life. I had all these wonderful things, and life for me could have taken off into all these different areas, and I could be doing something completely different right now, but i'm not. I'm out sharing the gospel, and it's just fantastic.
 
Elder Hatch and I have had struggles finding people to teach ever since I got out here. He and I get along great, and we teach with power, and unity, just not to a lot of people. And tracting is not effective up here, because everyone says no, and no one is ever home. But Elder Hatch and I just kept up doing our part, and we kept being diligent, and obedient, and then the miracles happened.
 
Wednesday was probably one of the best days of my mission up to this point. We had a good district meeting, By the way, Elder Hatch is the district leader. So i'm assistant to the district leader, or so I call myself. And we went out for sushi afterwards, which was really good. After sushi, We went and taught our investigator Joe. Joe is a great guy, he's really humbled at this point in his life and needs the gospel. He's recovering from a drug addiction, and he's hit rock bottom, but he's starting to progress in life, and you can just see the want for change in his eyes. The lesson we taught was really great, and the spirit was powerful. He wants to be baptized, but he says he doesn't fully believe yet. So we invited him to read the BOM everyday, and to pray, and to come to conference, which he did!
 
Wednesday night, we were visiting a part-member family to set up an appointment. We didn't really know why we were setting up an appointment with them, just knew that we were there. when we walked out we ran into Jason. He ran up to us and asked if we were Mormons, and asked if we could come to his house and if we could answer some of his questions about what we believed in. We agreed and taught him the next night. Apparently stories like that in this mission are unheard of. but we were in the right place, at the right time. And the Lord prepares his people.
 
On Thursday I went on exchanges with an other Elder in my district named Elder Scott from Vancouver. He's great. We got to teach a guy named Herman, who's coming over an alcohol addiction, and was 9 months sober, but over the weekend, he got drunk. We felt so much love for the guy, and when we were teaching him, the spirit was so strong you could really feel God telling him how much he loved him, and how much he wanted him to change. It was so good. Really testifies to me that this is his work, and there's no place that I'd rather be than here, preaching his gospel. I haven't been that homesick, and that's because I'm here. doing what I need to be doing. That brings me to my next topic.
 
General conference. I got a lot of questions on how I was able to watch general conference, and I was able to by going to a local stake center. Oh, general conference was so good. My favorite, well one of my many favorite talks was given by Dallin H. Oaks in Sunday morning. Especially when he said: "While other religions will change their practices, and even their doctrines. Ours are determined by God, and are deemed unchangeable." Gave me the chills.
 
Well I'm doing great up in the great white north. It hasn't snowed.... yet. We got a little rain last week, and it was a little windy this past week as well. But other than that, it's actually been really beautiful weather. I love it here in Winnipeg. I live in the St. James area, and it's a beautiful area of Winnipeg. Nothing's been really bad so far, except for our bishop in our ward. I really don't like him. He's not motivated to do missionary work. We'll change that. Anyways, this email's really long. Love you guys! keep writing me! I've only gotten one letter and it took two weeks to get here, but that's okay i guess... haha
 
Elder Sorenson.

No comments:

Post a Comment