Monday, December 9, 2013

Week of Dec. 8, 2013

Wow. What a week. Where to start. Well let's say that this week went a whole lot better than last week! let's start at the beginning as always.
 
So on Monday I was not looking forward to the week, and I was actually depressed as much of you could tell. It was aweful. I really just lost sight of my purpose here but luckly my comp just sat me down and we just talked for a while. It just hard when you have to deal with all the emotional stress of coming on a mission, especially here, where we have NO ONE to teach. I just sometimes think why I waist my breath on people who aren't going to listen.
 
Something I'm going to hold dear is what my mission pres told me. And that's if I go my whole mission and convert no one but myself. That's a highly successful mission. I really think that's the reason I got called to this mission. Because from everything I've seen, that's why I'm here, and I'm loving it. So needless to say, after I got some sence knocked into me, things started to go better.
 
Tuesday and Wednesday we got 6'' of snow. Now that's not that bad, but the wind blows it all around, and the wind is what kills you. it may be only -30*c outside, but with the wind, that adds up to -40*C/F. and that's cold. More on that later. So apperaently when snow falls, everyone here, just like home in Utah doesn't know how to drive in it. Even though people live here, and it's complete ice on the road. I'm from Utah and I'm driving just fine. it's pathetic haha.
 
Anyways, on Thursday I went on exchanges with Elder Blackburn in my district. He's from vernal, and he's halarious. We did a lot of work, and found a couple of new investigators that used to investigate from years ago. One of them is named bear, and he has no idea how he got that name =P. This week went by fast, and before I knew it, it was Friday. And slowly, it started becoming the coldest days I had ever seen. On friday we drove out of the city, and loaded up a bunch of stuff to help a member set up a nativity at a place in Winnipeg called the forks. It's called the forks because it's where the two rivers in Winnipeg fork together. It's also where the middle of the city is, and it's where all the big, skyscrapers are. It's also called downtown. There's this intersection there that's famous for being the coldest intersection in North american cities of it's size because the two streets act as wind tunnels. And I actually got to drive through it. I felt special haha. Although, downtown Winnipeg is THE most confusing road system I have ever seen. You can't turn left almost anywhere, and you can't turn left or right or both some places, and most of the roads are one way, and they all curve like spagetti, and it's heavy traffic. Just crazy! 
 
Anyways, we set up the nativity in -30 and we got our transfer calls in the meantime. I was not putting a lot of thought into this transfer call because my mission pres. basically said he would just keep everyone where they were at, unless he needed to move them, or felt inspired to. Also I was sure I was not going to move because I told him I wanted to stay for Christmas. I didn't tell him why, but it's because I want to see my friend Brent come up. But anyways, the call came, and it turns out I'm not staying. I'm leaving and I'm actually going to one of the furthest points away from Winnipeg you can get. I'm heading 12 hours away from here, to Prince Albert, Saskatchewan. I'm excited, but bummed I don't get to stay for Christmas, but that's okay.
 
Yesterday we went and saw Joe for the first time in two weeks. It's sad because he's too busy to meet with us and he knows he won't make his baptismal date. So we had to drop it. But I got to see him at least one last time before I leave. I'm excited to get a fresh new start in p.a. I'll see how it goes.
 
So a little more on the cold. I have now seen -40, and what it does to your face. I'll send a picture. It's super cold outside, and the first breath just hurts and you start coughing. I have to wear so many layers it's not even funny! The worst part is, we have to plug our truck in every night because if we didn't, it's so cold that the engine wouldn't turn over in the morning. That's the sad part. Anyways, so I can't wait to get back to Utah where it's nice and warm and listen to someone say that it's cold. haha what a joke =P 
 
From the land that many are cold, but few are frozen,
Elder Sorenson

No comments:

Post a Comment