Monday, June 9, 2014

Week of June 8, 2014

The time's a flyin'. But it's oh so good. So currently, like I said I'm out in a little punk town called Gull Lake, Saskatchewan. We can almost double the population just driving into town. For those of you that have asked me questions about the area, let me clear them up. So our ward boundaries are pretty big. Not quite as big as they were in Prince Albert. But basically my companion and I work not only in Gull Lake, but we also work in Swift current where the branch is. It's rough getting there sometimes, and having contact with the missionaries there because it's half an hour away. Also, we work in the little towns that surround Gull lake. And the nearest town is an other half an hour away from Gull Lake. Our main purpose in Gull Lake is to reach out to the less-actives that live so far out of town that it's hard for the branch to reach out to them. So needless to say, Elder Blackburn and I do a lot of travelling. I love it. We get to see the beautiful country side that makes up the rolling hills of Saskatchewan, close to the Alberta Boarder.
So to get to what we did this week, we were actually quite busy. I love being busy. Elder Blackburn and I both hit our 9 month mark on Wednesday! Time's a flyin'. But also now that we're on Facebook, it seems to be working out quite well! I was able to teach someone I met up in Prince Albert over Facebook, and we taught her the restoration. It was great! She asked a lot of good questions. Hopefully she'll go somewhere.

One thing that the town really likes doing, is putting us to work! We stopped by our town office, and had a great chat with our mayor, and his secretaries. We were finally able to have a gospel related conversation with them. It was great! And they also asked us to do some landscaping for some trees around town. So we did that all Friday, and some on Saturday as well.

One thing about Gull Lake is everyone plays either baseball or softball. We got asked to play softball with a bunch of 30 year olds on friday nights. It was a blast! Hopefully I'll get better at playing because I'm not very good, and then with softball, we can start teaching all of them and increase the YSA in the branch. 

This leads me to Sunday. Which is also my complaint. Driving into Swift current for church is great, but I feel that the members don't really care for us because we're tossed out in Gull Lake. Makes it hard to make friendships. I got to play the piano in sacrament meeting which was good, but then I taught elders quorum and they all treated it like a joke. Made me a little frustrated, but what could I do? Just trying not to be discouraged or anything. This last week I was between missing home, or really missing Prince Albert. I was missing Prince Albert more than Home. there's still a piece of my heart there! haha, but that's my little venting session to you all. 

Looking optimistic about the coming weeks! Thank you for all that you do.
-Elder Sorenson


P.S. this is how small Gull Lake is

No comments:

Post a Comment